If you are like the vast majority (I include myself on the list), when you arrive at a certain age, you finally accepted that it was time to regularly apply a moisturizer on your face, either in the morning or at night. In the best case you use creams twice a day and that is already a breakthrough. But what about using nourishing or moisturizing masks, or getting a periodic exfoliation?
It is true that applying a mask takes time, but doing it at least once a week will help you regenerate and protect the skin of your face much more than if you only use creams. This is valid for both men and women, because although each one’s skin is different, the care needs are the same. In addition there are simple masks to make that do not mean much effort.
And although we find it hard to accept it, over the years every day it is more important to spend time caring for our face. A well hydrated and impurity-free skin prevents premature aging and makes us look better.
Therefore, it is an excellent idea to prepare your own homemade masks at home. That way you won’t depend on having to buy something specific. In addition, you will surely always have the natural ingredients of most of them at hand, so preparing your own masks will be easy and fun, and of course, the results will be wonderful.
What to do before applying a face mask?
Whether you decide to try some homemade mask or prefer one of the many that exist in the market, you should always follow these simple steps first:
- clean the skin of your face well and remove all other makeup (if necessary). You can use some neutral or glycerin soap, or even better, an exfoliating gel
- if you are going to use a homemade mask try to prepare only the amount you need for a single application. If you do not get it, store the amount you have left in a well-covered glass jar inside the refrigerator and do not keep it for many days
- when applying the mask (whatever its type) take special care to avoid the contour of your eyes, since it is a more sensitive area that needs specific products to avoid irritations
- be careful when using homemade masks made from apple or lemon vinegar as they can irritate your skin. Lemon can cause stains if it comes in contact with the sun so be sure to rinse your face thoroughly after applying the mask and if you don’t want to take a risk, do it better at night
- if you have any food allergy to any of the ingredients of the homemade mask, do not use it on your skin. If your skin is very delicate and you have doubts, try a little of the mask behind the ear or in a small area of your face and wait a few hours to make sure that it does not cause irritation
Homemade masks for a healthy and rejuvenated face
1. Orange, milk and honey nourishing mask
Honey is one of the best ingredients you can use to prepare face masks, as it nourishes, moisturizes and rejuvenates the skin. Mix two tablespoons of orange juice with two tablespoons of milk and two tablespoons of honey. When you have a homogeneous cream apply it on your face and let it act for 10 minutes. Rinse with plenty of cold water. You will notice the effects on your skin immediately.
2. Oatmeal mask for tired skin
This mask brings together some of the best natural ingredients to hydrate and regenerate the skin. With it you will combat the effects of time, pollution and sudden changes in temperature, which give the skin that image of fatigue that we hate so much. Put 1/3 cup of oatmeal in flakes to rest in half a cup of hot water (not boiling) for a few minutes. Then add two tablespoons of unsweetened plain yogurt, two tablespoons of honey and one egg white. Mix all the ingredients well until you get a homogeneous mask and apply a thin layer on your face. After 15 minutes rinse well with cold water.
3. Tomato wrinkle mask
The properties of tomato are well known as food, as it contains a large amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. But the best thing is that you can also take advantage of these qualities directly on the skin of your face. Cut a ripe and juicy tomato into 4 parts and gently rub with them your face making circular movements clockwise. Leave this natural paste on the skin for about 40 minutes and then wash with cold water. With the passing of the weeks you will see that the tomato is fantastic against wrinkles and you will feel the skin much firmer and smoother.
4. Strawberry moisturizing mask
Strawberry is a fruit with a high water content, so a homemade strawberry-based mask is fantastic for moisturizing the skin, especially in summer. Crush a handful of strawberries and mix them with a couple of tablespoons of honey (yes, honey again!). Hold the mask for 20 minutes and then wash your face with cold water. You will notice the freshness immediately.
5. Avocado mask (avocado) and almond oil for dry skin
If you have dry skin, then this mask will help you improve your face and have it softer and smoother. Crush half ripe avocado with the help of a fork and add two teaspoons of almond oil. If you prefer, you can substitute almond oil for a baby oil that is equally effective. Apply the mask on your face (avoiding the eye contour) and let it act for 20 minutes. Use warm water to remove it.
6. Cucumber moisturizing mask
Surely when you see cucumber, the first thing you can imagine are the typical slices of cucumber over the eyes. If you’ve ever tried them, you know they are wonderful against dark circles. But you can use the cucumber not only to hide a bad night but to moisturize your face, especially in summer after a day of sun and beach. Peel a cucumber and crush it until you get a homogeneous paste, apply it on your face and let it cool for 15 minutes. Then rinse with plenty of cold water. You and your skin will feel like new.
7. Homemade banana-based scrub
I love this exfoliating mask, since banana is a cheap fruit and is available throughout the year. The banana nourishes and softens the skin so this mask applied once a week will help you have a healthy and smooth face (that is, with less J wrinkles). Crush a ripe banana with the help of a fork until pureed and then add 4 tablespoons of sugar. Make sure the mask has a pasty consistency and if necessary add more sugar. Apply the mask on your face with gentle circular movements and finally rinse with warm water. You can use this exfoliating mask all over the body, it is perfect for removing dead cells and leaving skin soft.